When I learned to spin, I can honestly say that it profoundly changed the course of my knitting and crafting forever. I truly enjoy picking up my spindle and spinning away, watching the fibers bind together. Now I cannot imagine my life without it.
I decided to come up with some reasons why I enjoy spinning:
1. Can be incredibly relaxing once you get the hang of it. Learning can be annoying and stressful, but once that fiber is gliding through your fingers it can be a form of meditation.
2. Enables you to create one-of-a-kind yarns using special blends with exotic fibers and different spinning techniques can give your creation a whole new feel and personality.
3. Allows knitters to specially hand craft yarn for a specific project from start to finish. My spinning teacher told us that this would be perk of learning to spin, but at the time I wasn't sure what that meant.
4. Like knitting, usually fairly portable. Now I'm talking drop spindles and select wheels. I'm a spindler and easily spin while at the airport or in the car. It is also fun to walk around the house while spinning.
5. Spinning is very satisfying to finish and get to say "I made this yarn"! It is also extremely exciting to get to knit with your spun yarn and gives your finished object a whole other meaning.
6. Makes a connection to the past. Spinning is an ancient craft and so your ancestors spun too. For me it is a lot of fun knowing that I am aiding in the preservation of this craft tradition.
7. Presents the challenge of learning something new. For me, one of the best parts of learning how to knit was the satisfaction of masting new techniques and producing a tangible final product that could then be made useful. Spinning was the same way, a whole new world of challenges and knowledge opened up when I learned how to spin.
Also, cats love spinning.
So, if you don't know how to spin and have any interest at all, I would highly recommend that you give it a go. The worst thing that can happen is that you will get hooked on a new craft.
What are your reasons for spinning?