I wanted to let you all know that I will be on a trip to Las Vegas for a conference this weekend, so if I'm slow in responding that is why, I apologize in advance!
Before leaving, I decided to dye some roving I purchased a while ago. It is apparently Cheviot wool, which I have never really experienced before. I actually ordered this fiber online, and upon opening it up I was really disappointed with how it had been prepared. Because of the bits of stuff sticking out of it and the overwhelming smell of lanolin, I have reason to suspect that it has not been processed very well. This was further evident in the fact that it was very difficult to dye.
I dyed part of it using Wilton's food dyes, pretty much the same way as I did in my previous post and I was not completely satisfied with it. The colors just didn't want to stick!
Once I finish spinning this fiber, I plan on washing it thoroughly and then attempting to dye it again to see how that might work. Also, I remembered that the awesome Sara from A Year at the Wheel, has tons of tips on how to wash wool correctly, so I may follow her directions and see if that might make a difference as well.
But, if dyeing teaches me anything, it is that sometimes it doesn't go at all according to plan. I'm looking forward to this fiber as an ongoing challenge that I have to tackle. Perhaps I will make something I'm truly proud of in the end!