03 November 2014

Kennedy Sweater

Cold weather has finally reached the South! South Carolina had surprise snow and here in North Carolina we had a really chilly Halloween weekend. I am not a huge fan of the winter months, but it has been fun getting to wear all my warm hand knitted sweaters! 

I am thrilled to report that I finished my Kennedy sweater a couple of weeks ago, thanks to my mother saving the day. I ran out of yarn at the very end and was unable to finish the neckband. My mom, being the best, drove out to Webs and grabbed another skein for me and I was able to finish it.

DSC_0034

I love this sweater even more than I thought I would. It fits perfectly due to the ribbed construction of the back and sides. The cabled details stand out particularly well due to the texture of the yarn. Most of all, this sweater is super warm and cosy! 

DSC_0040

Kennedy is from the Fall 2012 issue of Knitscene and I loved it from first glance. The cabling just looked like a joy to knit. The pattern was clear and simple (although there is an errata for the cabling chart, beware!). I did work in a few alterations to fit my personal preferences though. I don't like turtleneck-like necklines on clothing, so I amended with a simple ribbed neck. I also made the sleeves less baggy because I like a more form fitting sleeve. 

DSC_0045

The yarn is one of my tried and true favorites Plymouth worsted merino superwash. It is a super soft and durable 100% superwash merino in worsted. I have knitted another cabled sweater (my Beatnik) out of it and it has held up beautifully. I love how it shows off cabled details particularly.

Are you unpacking your winter clothes? Or are you now packing them away again to enjoy the summer? 

22 comments:

  1. I left all my warm knits back in Kansas...not quite realizing that it was going to get cold here in Texas....
    But I love that sweater, you always look so good in the deep reds. !

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is gorgeous! I love those cables - excellent stitch definition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooohhh. Gorgeous. Beautiful knitting, beautiful yarn. Winter can come now

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful cabling pattern and also beautifully knit! The fit looks perfect and the colour suits you well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great sweater! I've been in the process of switching out my winter spring/summer for fall/winter clothes but am still resisting wearing my full-on winter coat. I think I can get by with just a fleece for a few more weeks, with enough knitwear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank heaven for moms! I'm glad that she was able to pull-through for you. The sweater is fantastic! I really love a fancy cable pattern. I can't resist them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. An excellent finish and fit - nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! I don't have any cabled sweaters or cardi's in my wardrobe but I'm sensing that they're on the horizon! Doesn't the yarn behave beautifully with the cables? Lovely. I'm unpacking summer clothes - actually that's not entirely true - I'm staring at my sewing machine and willing that it'll start sewing some summer clothes for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for mom! I'm glad you got to finish your sweater!

    Yep, a sudden drop in temperature here in SoCal this weekend meant I'm back to wearing hand-knit socks and flannel pants. The cold weather could not have been more welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. it looks very nice! i love the red you chose :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is lovely on you!!
    I should be packing my woollies away but its freezing here at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Kennedy is gorgeous! Yes, here is just the start of winter too :( I already look forward to the summer! I'm knitting a hat in alpaca right now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am waiting for colder weather. It's been wishy washy here. This is a marvelous jumper. Girlfriend, you kicked butt on this project. It looks terrific against your creamy complexion. Plymouth is a good workhorse yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's stunning! You did a fabulous job! I love the crew neck modification and the gorgeous color.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your mother is a saint and your sweater is gorgeous! Is the back all ribbed or.....?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow!! This sweater is amazing & it looks perfect for you! Love how tight & neat your cables are :) congrats !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Goodness that is gorgeous! Love everything about that sweater! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your sweater is a work of art. Love the cables!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome looking sweater, all those cables........wow, so involved. LOL...had to laugh about it being cold in North and South Carolina, as that's where we go to warm up.

    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  20. Been a long time since you've blogged. I too have been away awhile, or at least with one of the blogs. Making rounds today, hope to see you soon with a new project.

    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!