29 September 2011

Summer socks in Fall

I finished this lovely pair of socks at the wrong time.  I not only finished them the week when New England is forecast to get rain, rain, and more rain (that is why the pictures look sad, not enough natural sunlight), but also as summer ends and fall begins (summer pattern and summer yarn).  Despite that, I'm more than happy with how they turned out.


This yarn was another of my Webs super sale finds and it was a great buy.  My first thought was to use it to make baby clothes because of the colors.

Summer Sox by Classic Elite Yarns
Fingering weight
175 yards for 50 grams
40% cotton, 40% superwash merino, and 20% nylon.

One thing I would like to point out is...look at that unintentional striping!  Personally don't have the patience to work at making my socks stripe in exactly the same way (I salute those that do).  So when these socks turned out looking very similar rather than vaguely similar I was thrilled!


These were knitted two at a time from the toe up using the Diagonal Lace Socks pattern by Wendy Johnson.  I was one of those people who really struggled to learn the toe up sock method, I would find beginner's level patterns and even those didn't make sense to me.  I was limited to top down socks for a while, until I grabbed one of Wendy Johnson's books.  Now I vastly prefer knitting toe up socks and I always recommend her books to people trying to learn the technique.

2 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful! They give me new hope for my lacy pair I keep stopping on.

    And also make we want to get a set of sock blockers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer toe ups as well, but no matter how hard I try to do the two at a time , it just doesn't work out and then I have to frog the whole thing.. I stick to one at a time.. these turned out fantastic I love that color!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!