03 December 2011

Fair Isle Hat - Perfect Success

I've been a little slow with the crafting lately, actually my entire life has been on hold for the last week and a half due to a truly nasty cold.  It's funny how you can have so much free time while you are sick, but you oftentimes cannot do anything beyond what is absolutely necessary.

However, I somehow managed to finish this fabulous Fair Isle hat!


Now, this is an accomplishment for me, because this is the first colorwork project I have attempted since the great "colorwork baby sweater of doom" debacle (we don't speak of it).  This project started because I suddenly had this strong urge to knit something with Berroco Ultra Alpaca after reading a post by one of my favorite fellow bloggers, Evelyn over at Project: Stash.  She has been working on the most beautiful cardigan in Berroco Ultra Alpaca Light.  

I happened to have some Berroco Ultra Alpaca (the worsted version) left over from another colorwork project and wanted to use some of it up.  I almost instantly decided on the pattern Opus Spicatum because it seemed doable and looks really adorable.  I half expected for this project to go horribly wrong as well, but behold my success!


It also knit up very quickly and was surprisingly satisfying to work on.  I can certainly see why people get hooked on these kinds of projects.  After the success of this one, I hope to have more patience and courage to try another in the future. 

6 comments:

  1. Is it weird I'm proud of you? It's so amazing. Great job, considering you were sick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks fantastic!! I really should attempt some small/quick projects! I'm embarrassed to say I have nearly no winter woolies to accessorize my outwear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, thanks for the shout out! Now YOU'RE the one inspiring me! Your Fair Isle hat is beautiful, and I'm so impressed that you knit this (and while suffering from a nasty cold, no less). I read a great article about Fair Isle by Mary Jane Mucklestone recently and really hope to try it once the holidays are over. I'll keep your wonderful hat in mind to spur me on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! Your hat looks fantastic! I hope you're feeling better =o

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful! I love that color work pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a beautiful hat...congratulations!!
    Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!