The other day I was digging through my large craft box and rediscovered some more upcycled yarn that my mother helped me unravel last summer. Yet another forgotten project to be rediscovered there, maybe I should clean this mystical, bottomless bin out?
Both sweaters were thrifted for under $3 and I remember one being cashmere and the other cotton. Even better, they are both a blank canvas for more dyeing experiments. One downside, I cannot get the thrift store smell out of them, it is so sickly sweet, ick.
I'm not really sure what I want to do with the cotton yarn yet, but I decided to ply the cashmere yarn. It definitely needed to be plied because it was a little weak and prone to snapping. It looks more attractive and easy to work with than it was before.
There wasn't a sweater's worth of yarn here, I'm thinking that some of the sweater is hiding somewhere in my parent's house. If I had to estimate yardage, I would say: ~675 yards (an awkward amount to have).
It looks a lot like the cashmere sweater I upcycled last year. I didn't estimate the cost and savings this time but I can imagine that it was a bargin considering it is a fairly good quality cashmere. As with most of the yarn I spin or upcycle, I haven't really put much thought into what I'll use it for.