For some reason I thought that the end of college would be a gentle winding down to the end. It is actually going to be a wild dash to the end. Everyday I have been stretched for time and I was really starting to feel worn down and off balance. I think that we all forget how important it is to stay centered and relaxed sometimes. So, this weekend I took some time to breathe and relax, and it quickly became the most productive weekend I've had in a while.
Pumpkin's tips for staying centered in life:
- Stay hydrated. Your brain and body work so much better when you drink your 8 glasses a day. I find it easy to do this when drinking some calming Earl Gray, especially since it gives off such a lovely smell.
- Have a kind friend who bakes you cookies. Lisa has started a tradition of baking me cookies when I get really stressed out. Yeah, I know, she is awesome.
- Take slow, aimless walks. I always take my camera with me for these because I never know what I might find, butterflies, rainbows, the most beautiful flowers I have ever seen. It is also fun to just see where you end up, not walking with any particular goal in mind. Just wander.
- Journal. I love to journal, and I fill them with photographs, memories, triumphs, and challenges. When I feel stressed I logically map out the stressors and the cure for those stressors, mind mapping is perfect for this. I always end every entry with a success for the day.
- Keep your microbes happy. My current area of study is the microbiome, the microbes that live on and inside you. We all know that they protect you from getting sick and help break down your food. However, scientists have recently discovered that your gut microbiome may also be responsible for helping you to moderate stress and can improve your mood. So, be sure to eat yogurt or take probiotic supplements.
- Sleep. Well, we all know that sleep is important, we die without it. But we all need to be reminded of this every once in a while.
I haven't been knitting a whole lot lately and I blame Sara for sending me the most amazing fiber ever. All knitting time has now become spinning time since she sent me this wonderful alpaca as the winner of her latest giveaway.
In case it is not obvious from the picture, this stuff is as fluffy as clouds should be and in the most beautiful berry color. Darn you, Sara, this stuff is addictive! Seriously though, that woman has the best taste in fiber ever, if you want to see gorgeous handspun, check out her blog.
Have any tips on how you maintain balance and sanity in your world? Please drop me a line, I would love to hear your suggestions!
I hope everyone is having a happy Monday!