After a couple of weeks of hard work and a couple of months spent simply glaring at it and wondering why I wouldn't just finish itself, the colorwork sweater is complete!
Now I can finally cross off another one of my Fiber Goals for 2012:
Needless to say, I'm very excited to announce this development and honestly, I can hardly believe that I have finally finished this project considering how long it took to complete.
There are some things on it that are a little bit wonky (part of the collar just didn't work out great), but overall, I love it and cannot wait until it is not 90 degrees outside every day to wear it. I'm thinking that it will make a great sweater to cuddle into during classes and especially exams because it is super warm.
The pattern was Velvet Morning from Knitty, bis winter 2011. As I have written in past posts, this pattern was not very well written and I had some huge problems with it. There were some techniques that I think could have been used to make this a more finished project, as well as more fun to knit. For example, using steeking to allow for knitting in the round rather than flat. At the time I didn't feel comfortable enough to modify something as huge as the body of the sweater (although some people have); however, I did knit the sleeves in the round and was so glad that I did.
The yarn was Cascade 220 Superwash, the only Cascade yarn that in my experience is worth buying. The dark blue was the Blue Velvet colorway (856) and the other colors started out white, but were hand dyed by me using Jacquard Acid Dyes. This project definitely gained a whole other dimension when I decided to dye yarn specifically for it and it is something that I would really love to do again someday.
Finishing this project has been a huge challenge for me, but now that I have finally finished it, I can say that it did pay off. Now I need to start working full steam on two test knits and the three remaining sweaters. But now, with this momentum, I really feel that I can finish them all.