01 March 2012

Colorwork Sweater Update

I meant to post this update yesterday as a part of WIP Wednesday, but that just didn't happen.  Don't you just hate how sometimes life is not very understanding about your crafting ambitions?

I've been working half-heartedly on my colorwork sweater lately:


The colorwork pattern is beautiful, the sweater itself is very attractive, the problem is the pattern has some weird little aspects that really bother me.  It's almost as though the pattern is written for a beginner, but the construction is not suited for a beginner (I'm not sure if that made any sense at all).  The pattern author and I obviously disagree on more than one topic...

I've mentioned once before that I am annoyed that the pattern for the garment is to be worked flat, rather than in the round (even the sleeves! Why?!).  In retrospect, I really should have just taken the plunge and knitted it in the round with a steek.

Also, the pattern is very nice and all, but the chart was not adapted for use with all of the available sizes.  This just came across as sloppy to me, but I was able to work around it.

All and all, this pattern has been an adventure and I'm sure that more surprises lie in wait.  But I'm sure that it will come out looking very nice in the end.  However, I think it was wise to offer this as a free pattern.  As Evelyn wisely said, we must finish our wintery knits.  Finish them we will!

Also, I apologize for the crappy, low-light photo, it looks like this outside:

14 comments:

  1. I think that really good so far. You made me click through to the pattern to check it out, and I definitely agree that it should have been done in the round and steeked. If the pattern is already marked as tangy, I don't think it would scare too many would-be knitters off. Your colors look great, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, it was almost 70 today here :)
    I still want to give you props for working on that sweater anyways, because if it had been me I would have given up. It looks amazing though, that intricate pattern with your colors and skills. I know it has issues, but you will work through it and that will be a sweater you will have forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say it's a free pattern, so you got what you get. But I still get annoyed the same. It looks lovely, and I am sure your experience will lift you over the patterns rough patches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sweater is coming along so well. That is some fast colourwork knitting from my perspective, especially if the pattern is frustrating.
    Also, very pretty winter photo. It rained here today and turned everything into yucky slush, as it always seems to do, so I'm glad someone is getting appropriate winter knitting weather at least.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow wow wow! It's beautiful! What pretty snow, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks gorgeous, but I can understand your frustrations with it - I hate when I feel out of sync with the way a pattern is written!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh the sweater is looking so pretty. Sorry you aren't liking the pattern though, that takes away some of the joy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have never known that you were struggling by looking at the incredible photograph of your WIP! The cardigan that I'm desperately trying to finish (as I write) has caused me a bit of grief, too, but we must persevere! Knowing you, you're going to finish a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your sweater looks wonderful! I don't believe I've seen many fair isle sweaters done in flat, in fact, if any at all. I'll have to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The colourwork is gorgeous so far! I hope you can get to the end without too much trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful yarn! It's sure to make a pair of very lovely mittens.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that is one amazing looking sweater so far. The patience that must have taken... Also, I am in total agreement with annoying and badly written patterns. I find patterns that not that many people seem to have used on ravelry even though they are amazing, and then I realise it's cause they make so little sense written out...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your colourwork is beautiful, checked out the pattern think this will be one to add to my ever growing list. Look forward to seeing the finished article

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!