16 March 2012

Lilac Handspun

I have finally finished spinning up what was frankly the most frustrating fiber that I have ever had to deal with (well, besides silk hankies...).


I spun this up in a space of two weeks on my trusty Schacht spindle.  I would say that the weight ranges from sport to worsted because of the nature of the fiber I was spinning with.  It was almost as though the fiber was either tangled (not combed properly?) or felted.  I think that this started as 6 oz., but I cannot recall for sure.


I've agreed to send this single ply nightmare off to Lisa, where it will likely become a part of one of her many amazing art projects.

Now I get to start spinning up some fiber that I have really been looking forward to.
More on that to come!

13 comments:

  1. As frustrated as it made you the color way came out beautiful. I love little flecks of contrasting color it makes i so interesting. You did a really good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very pretty, I like the colorway. How do you know what fibers will be good to spin and what wont?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does look pretty, even if it was a nightmare. I'm in awe of your spinning skills!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks in advance, you seriously don't have to.
    Anyways though, I think it looks pretty, but I understand your frustration. The merino I had for my first time was kinda hard to work with also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a very pretty yarn. Sometimes I have projects like that too, can't wait to get it done and hand it to someone else.

    Sweater seaming does take practice, you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been there... I was really frustrated by some Teeswater roving i was trying to spin. It was really long stapled and silky but I just couldn't seem to get a feel for it. Experiments are a good thing - hope you have more fun on your next spin. Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you for sticking with it and finishing the spinning. I think I would have given up and thrown it out. It reminds me of some Noro I have in my stash from a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The yarn looks so gorgeous, you'd never imagine it has given you such a hard time. Good choice to go for Lisa, I cannot wait to see what she does with it

    ReplyDelete
  9. The yarn is a gorgeous colour! I'm glad you can spin something you'd prefer now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Despite the frustration, it turned out beautifully. I really love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is something so comforting about subtle, muted shades like you achieved in these handspuns ... lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry that the Merino was so frustrating. :( It really must have been compacted and/or felted, because nicely-prepared Merino can be a dream to spin. Your yarn still turned out beautifully, though, and I'm looking forward to seeing the next batch of fiber when you start working with it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. you are so clever! That spun yarn is amazing. The colours are beautiful aren't they?

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!