21 March 2012

Spinning Mohair Fiber

One of my Fiber Goals for 2012 has been to spin a new kind of fiber.  A while back Lisa gifted me some amazing mohair from Wicked Stitch in Wamego, Kansas.  I have always been very interested in spinning fiber from Angora goats, they look so adorable with their shaggy hair.


I waited for quite a while to begin spinning this fiber, partially because I just wanted to squeeze it for a while and partially because I was thinking of blending it with another type of fiber.  In the end I broke down and decided to just go for it and am I ever glad that I did!

This fiber is a joy to work with, it is super soft and the resulting strands have beautiful drape and sheen.  I'm spinning the strands fairly thin and I'm trying to decide how I want to ply it and what I might want to make out of it.  I think that after I finish spinning this pretty mohair, that I am going to dye it using natural dyes of some kind, I haven't decided yet.


Also, to help address the problem of commenting on Blogger blogs that some people have had problems with, I've decided to give Disqus a try.  Please let me know how your experience is, and of course as always, I love receiving your comments and reading your wonderful blogs!

10 comments:

  1. Your spinning is beautiful! It's so even and neat. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mohair looks just geourgeous! And I am so interested in hearing about peoples experience with commenting on blogs. I switched to Discqus last year but have never really felt comfortable asking folks how it was working. For instance I know I can respond with a direct email- but then that's not on the page and visa-versa (hope you get what I mean) Sometimes my thought is - I'm not sure if people would be pleased with a direct email or think of it as an invasion. I'll look forward to seeing what folks share here. Thanks Pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh how pretty! I love that natural color!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Disqus, hmmmm I'll have to look into that, although I've never had problems.
    Anyways, I LOVE how you are spinning that fiber and I am so glad you like it, I tried my best to pick out some fiber I knew you hadn't tried. It looks so pretty in it's natural color on your spindle. I want to try and get thinner yarn for my next project, because your's always looks so good thin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. florencefrazier2002March 21, 2012 at 9:49 PM

    Beautiful! I'll be looking for the dying process and what you will make from it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The yarn looks so soft and lovely! The Blogger thing is so frustrating. I decided to remove the verification from my blog because it's just too difficult. Hopefully they will improve it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love mohair, too, and what you've spun looks like it has specks of gold in it. I can just imagine how soft and beautiful this will knit up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love how that fiber is turning out! Your spinning is wonderful. :) And I'm looking forward to seeing the finished yarn dyed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful - and so thin! I have a spindle and I really have to learn how to use it soon ;)
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!