11 March 2012

Successes and failures

I don't really like to share what's going on in my life in very much detail, you guys don't want to hear about all that boring stuff, but I have to share that on Friday I was offered a position at my first choice graduate school program!  I've been ecstatic because this means that I will not only have the opportunity to be in the perfect program but that I will also be moving to North Carolina, my favorite state! 

In knitting-related news, I've hit a huge block with my colorwork sweater.  After spending several hours yesterday attempting to seam the stupid thing, I have been unable to seam it in any way that does not make it look like crap.  The pieces just don't want to fit together correctly!

I have always avoided traditionally constructed garments requiring seaming, simply because I have always felt as though there are better, more efficient methods.  So, granted I started this project knowing full well that I would be required to seam.

I was lucky to stumble upon a couple of videos from Berroco on the subject which really helped: 

Video on seaming shoulders:

Video on seaming set-in sleeve:

Through attaching the sleeve, ripping back, and then repeating several times, I have gotten quite good at making an attractive looking seam!  Sadly, I still cannot seem to make the sweater look attractive no matter how hard I try.

After closely following Evelyn's cardigan adventures, I have decided to take a leaf out of her book and calmly let the sweater hibernate for a little while until I feel better equipped to deal with it.  

Besides I have plenty of time to finish it to meet my Fiber Goals for 2012.

9 comments:

  1. Ivy,
    once again, congrats on grad school!
    I know you will work through your seaming issue, you just need to let it go for a bit and breath. Once you come back to it and finish it up, you will love it I know! I can't wait to see it done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on graduate school! That's awesome!! Sorry to hear about the seaming troubles. I haven't been brave enough to knit anything that requires a lot of seaming, so I can't say I know what you're going through, but I can imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on graduate school & being on the program that you most wanted. cheers to new beginnings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on grad school!! I'm so, so happy for you, and wish all the best with the new program! It's going to be wonderful living in North Carolina, too: such a great state filled with great people!

    I think it's very wise to set the sweater aside and take a breather before tackling the seams. It will all work out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!!! NC is my fave state too, so I can see why you are so excited!

    Thanks also for the link to the videos, they will help me no end when I come to seam in sleeves (currently I try to only knit sleeveless garments..ha ha)

    I am sure you're gonna get your sweater mojo back on soon

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you shared your good news about graduate school! I hope you let yourself revel in your success. As for seaming and your cardigan, do take a breather. You've come so far and these videos look incredibly helpful ... you'll find your love for this cardigan yet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seaming certainly isn't easy for me either... I seem to get the best results when I put a lot of pins and go slow, in the morning preferably, and often look to see if it falls good. I think it comes with practice. Congratulations on the offer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What's wrong with the sweater? Is it a fit issue or a construction issue? congrats on Graduate School!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on being accepted to your preferred grad school! That's wonderful. I've never been to North Carolina but have heard it is beautiful.

    Letting the sweater hibernate sounds like a very good idea :o)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!